Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Little Bit of Chicken Fried

Just recently my one of my roommates, Emily, and friend Jason went to Memphis. This was not a fun road trip like I normally have. This time it was for a funeral. It was a very sad day and the trip down there seemed to take forever. Right now, I am going to skip over half the day to the ride home.

It was after 2pm and we were all starving and a little lost. Jason suggested we go to the restaurant Bigfoot, but it was downtown and we didn't want chance getting in traffic. He had watched an episode of Man vs Food and they ate fried chicken somewhere in Memphis. We made a few calls (seeing that we had no idea what this fried chicken place was called or located) and found out it the name of the restaurant was Gus's Famous Fried Chicken. It was right outside of Memphis off I-40 in a ittty bitty town of Mason. There is no signage off the interstate, but it was easy to get to.

Jason made the comment that if this was not good chicken, I could pour my glass of sweet tea on him. When we drove up, I was almost positive he was going to get a bath of sweet tea. The place didn't look at all like it did on TV and it was really small. We walked in and it was deserted, but it was 2:30pm. We sat down in the homey little restaurant and ordered. When I got my sweet tea wasn't impressed. With my mind made up, I just knew the chicken wasn't going to be good.

Jason and Emily playing with their food!


Oh, how I was wrong! It was the spiciest and juiciest fried chicken I had ever had! We all ordered the two piece white meat chicken dinner. It came with french fries and white bread. The sweet tea was not the best, but the chicken defiantly made up for it. Gus's Famous Fried Chicken is a must stop for anyone who likes fried chicken. The next time I am going to Memphis, I will be stopping in Mason.

Gus's Famous Fried Chicken has a spicy taste to it.

No comments: